Had he lived, our eponymous inspiration, Group Captain Sir Douglas Bader, would have been 101 today. We salute his birthday and feel sure that he would be proud of the charity set up in his name and the new initiatives and Events that we have in place. BADER BRAVES, a Douglas Bader Foundation initiative acknowledging Sir Douglas’s honourary chieftainship of the Kanai Indians, is now well and truly up and running with 5 Young Aviators Days successfully completed last year and a much increased programme for 2011. We hope to hold a minimum of 10 of these hugely popular events this year and details of those confirmed can be found on the Bader Braves’ own pages on this Website.
In the meantime please enjoy a few photographs from Sir Douglas’s extraordinary life:
- Douglas Robert Steuart Bader with his mother, Jessie, and his father, Major Frederick Roberts Bader
- Douglas with his older brother, Frederick (Derick)
- Douglas was determined to prove that he could still fly and rejoin the R.A.F. after losing his legs
- Group Captain Sir Douglas Bader as many would probably remember him best
- Sir Douglas on his 70th birthday with his grandson, Charley Douglas Bickers