BILL Forum

BILL Forum

Having a bka on the 10th April, 29yo burgers disease

HOME Forum User Group Discussion Forum Having a bka on the 10th April, 29yo burgers disease

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  wendy 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

wendy
    Keymaster

Hi my name is Stefan im 29 an i live in the u.k, in march 2011 i started to get bad pain in my left foot and lower leg, at first i put this down to long hours on my feet managing a busy restaurant, this pain went on and became worse over time, i had tried a few new pairs of shoes an still the pain got worse so i went to the Dr and told him i was getting the pain an that my foot was so very cold an painful and often was blue, time after time i was sent away told it was due to my job and that i was way to young to have blood flow problems. at this point i contacted the practice manager and asked to see another DR as my own had not so much as looked at my left foot and the pain i was in was just to much to bear, id started to take more and more over the counter pain relief, the next DR that i saw took a look at my foot and told me i had a problem (well after a few mths of pain i kinda new that) he sent me off for an mri an i had some dye put in my vanes,
    i went bk a few weeks later an was told that the left side was not clear at all on the scan but the right was an that i had cardio-vascula disease , next thing i had an angiography and was then told they was going to do an angioplasty this was meant to last an hour but took 3 hours i was able to see the different wires the Dr used pass down the vanes to try and reopen them i was awake and it was very clear even to me that two of the three main artery’s had closed and the one remaining was in bad shape and from the ankle joint the blood flow was near undetectable, on the 14th Dec 2011 i was told that it was looking like i had buergers disease and it was advanced in my lower left foot and leg, i had never heard of this in my life and was totaly shocked, in this time iv had to go on leave from my job, i need a wheel chair to get about outside and can hardly manage inside with out a stick, i was on so many drugs i was just in a daze most of the time i was hooked on the morphine i was taking in liquid and slow release form to deal with the pain but it was no longer working as well at keeping the pain at bay so first i stopped the liquid morphine and then the slow release pills the pain is so much worse now but at least im not out of it all the time, well now after some more tests and so on i have been told that i do in fact have burgers disease and that i have to have my lower left leg amputated ASAP problem is i live in a house that is just no good for me now in way of using the facilities so i managed to find a place from local housing, all this and my head is still spinning from the day i was told i needed it off, i dont think iv slept a propper night since i found out but im staying very possitiv and looking forwards, i cant imagen what im about to go throu but i know its going to be bad, i have an amazing partner and a very loving mum an pops with a few friends close by to help me get over this, but im sh***in breez blocks sideways i can tell you, i just seem to want to be alone at the moment but don’t want to push people away but i really need this time to mentally prepare myself for the road ahead, some times what’s about to happen hits me out of the blue like a ton of bricks, ill be moving into a bungalow at the end of the mth then have the bka on the 10th of april, any advice welcome,

wendy
    Keymaster

Stefan:

Sorry no-one’s come back to you yet – I’ve just got to pop down the chemist for an hour, but I’ll reply when I come back.

One reason for the silence is that you are posting in the ‘wrong’ place – most posters use the ‘discussion forum’ rather than this one!

I’ll say more later.

Allen, bka, London.

wendy
    Keymaster

Right, back from the chemist (on my pedal-bike, by the way)…

Living with excruciating pain in your foot and ankle is almost impossible. Many of us on this site have been there, and tried it.

Living with an amputated lower leg is possible – many of us on this site have tried that.

There are all sorts of problems associated with amputation – it is not a walk in the park – but we DO get on with our lives, going to work, having children, driving, cycling, even running in one or two extreme cases (!). There is a massive community of amputees out there who will have been through most of your ‘new’ problems, and can offer advice. Limb-fitting centres in the UK might be subject to the cuts in funding, but by and large, they are still helpful places.

As I said in my first brief note, come across to the ‘Discussion Forum’ area; it’s not that busy, but there are more people dropping in there, and you’ll get more of a response.

Allen, bka (below knee amputation), London.

wendy
    Keymaster

Hi, just a note to askhow you’re getting on. ????

wendy
    Keymaster

Hi Stefan

Sorry just picked up on your posting, as it was on the User Group forum, you really need to come on to the discussions forum.

Though I hope you are getting on ok, am I right in thinking you are a left below knee amputee? Sounds like this all came as a tremendous shock to you, I had not heard of burgers disease and not sure how that affects you generally, but as Allen says living with an amputated lower leg, or legs (as in my situation) is possible … bit different sometimes perhaps, but generally do-able, especially if you are able to be fitted with a prosthesis. It is different for everyone but usually the first few months are the most difficult, the pain you have to begin with gradually decreases and life does get back relatively to normal. Are you have physio? or rehab and have they talked about fitting a prosthesis.

Come and join us on the discussion forum and you will probably get more people reply to you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

It's only fair to share...Pin on PinterestShare on RedditShare on StumbleUponTweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Email this to someone