BILL Forum

BILL Forum

Sledge Ice Hockey

HOME Forum Discussion Forum Sledge Ice Hockey

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jsolman 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

wendy
    Keymaster

Out of interest,  does anyone play or follow Sledge Ice Hockey?

jsolman
    Participant

Yes – I do!

BSHA is the main governing body in GB (not UK).

5 teams compete in the league this season:
    Kingston Kestrels (Hull)
    Peterborough Phantoms (Peterborough)
    Cardiff Huskies (Cardiff)
    Manchester Pheonix (Manchester)
    Sheffield Steeldogs (Sheffield)

Sheffield is a new addition for the 2015 season, and BHSA are looking to get more teams into what is already a highly competitive league.

League season tuns form April to August (as we can generally get ice time when Ice Hockey is out of season). Although the league is primarily run at Planet-Ice owned rinks, Silver Blades also give ice-time as well.

It’s full contact (Wheel chair rugby is only wheelchair contact), so the only Paralympic sport to offer full contact.

Open to male and female players.

Most teams will have spare equipment that you may use to get started.
    http://www.sledgehockey.co.uk for BHSA and links to other teams.

I know some rinks have ice time put aside for sledge hockey, but no teams available, so it’s always worth asking at a local rink, or get in-touch with a team.

It’s a fantastic way to build up your upper body and core areas.

A great bunch of people to know. Able bodied people can play at the national level, so not just limited to people with lower limb disabilities. International play is limited to lower limb disabilities.

There is also a GB squad, that currently train in the Coventry rink (central to most players).

If you’ve not had a go, I would highly recommend it, as I hadn’t played hockey before being asked to have a go, 2 years later, and I am still playing, it’s very addictive.

Happy to answer any questions.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

It's only fair to share...Pin on PinterestShare on RedditShare on StumbleUponTweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Email this to someone