BILL Forum

BILL Forum

Thru knee amp.

HOME Forum User Group Discussion Forum Thru knee amp.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  wendy 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

wendy
    Keymaster

Hi everyone; have just joined up as my husband is about to have a thru knee amputation (hopefully, I think) and I want to be able to support him anyway I can. My problem is I can’t find out much about people who have had this type of amputation…….can anyone help with any tips for me as his partner, or for him?

wendy
    Keymaster

hi there, i haven’t been on the forum for a wee while so only just seen your post. i have a right leg thru knee amp, which happened in march 2010. i found then and still do, that there isn’t much info out there specifically relating to this type of amp. it maybe more useful to think of think in terms of being an above knee amp, as there is no knee there. sounds very simple but i never thought of it like that to start with and then it made sense when it came to the stage of getting a prosthetic. in my limited experience so far, its the presence or absence of the knee joint that is at the crux of things, as far as prosthetics go. due to injuries on my left leg, i have only been using a prosthetic for around six months. i’m on my 3rd socket! there will be so much change early on. i’m in the process of having an experimental socket designed for me (on nhs) for which i will post updates when i get it home. my best advice to you would be to keep asking questions, make the system work for you and your partner by being a nuisance, if nec! try to live in the present also,as i found that my hopes would be dashed and i’d get really low if i allowed myself to look too far ahead, and what might be, only to be dissapointed. most important too is to ensure that your partners physical state does not deteriorate. he will need all his physical strength in later stages, so anything that can be done should be, whether its in the physio gym or local leisure centre or swimming pool. i wish i’d known that 18 months ago, as i’ve had so much muscle wastage and i’m still struggling to get any fitness back. very best of luck to you both. if i find anything worth relating to you i will, best regards, marie

wendy
    Keymaster

Thanks Marie; I too have not been on for a few weeks and have just read your story tonight (from April) when I was exploring more posts. Mike has been given a date for next Wednesday now; and you are right; there is no point wondering too far ahead. I will keep you posted as to what actually does happen. One thing I have found interesting is when you finally find the proper term (kneee disarticulation) you do find a bigger range of info – some of the you tube videos are amazing! Thanks for your advice…..it’s very much appreciated and reassuring to know that there is someone out there who understands what he is going through. Cheers!

wendy
    Keymaster

hello, i am a knee disarticulation due to an industrial accident in 1999. i would be happy to help but i am not always on these sites. everything i am is on my website http://www.prostheticlegcomfortsock.co.uk you can email me via the contact page or winkerandshona@hotmail.co.uk .i hope everything goes well at the op
    william brownlie

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

It's only fair to share...Pin on PinterestShare on RedditShare on StumbleUponTweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Email this to someone